The official start to summer is quickly approaching! You know what that means! It’s time for long sunny days spent outside being active! Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and creating healthy hydration habits to keep your body working in top shape.
So why is it important to start creating these habits? Your body is about 70 percent water and the majority of your blood and every cell in your body is made up of water. Water is needed for your body to function properly. With inadequate amounts of water in your system, you could run the risk of dehydration leading to extreme thirst, exhaustion, dizziness, or even a fever.
Water is free. Water is easy. So you would think that drinking enough water would not be overlooked. However, this is not always the case. A study done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2013 found that roughly 7 percent of American adults don’t drink water at all.
Whether you are an avid water drinker or someone who wishes they drank more water, here are some interesting benefits of drinking enough water that you may not know!
- You’ll have more energy. Cells contain water and are surrounded by water. In dehydration, cell membranes become less permeable, hampering the flow of hormones and nutrients into the cell and preventing waste products that cause cell damage from flowing out. With all the summer activities you have planned for the summer activities you have planned for the summer, you want to make sure you have the energy to participate!
- Your memory will improve. Your brain is heavily dependent on fluid to function and work properly. Your synapses and neurons need this fluid to make sure they are keeping your brain functioning in top shape! Make sure you remember all the new memories you will be making this summer by staying hydrated.
- Your focus will increase. Dehydration interferes with brain processing and breaks down the ability to focus. Drinking water and constantly replenishing your fluid intake can help keep your mind sharp! Kan Jam, Spikeball, Baggo, and other summer backyard games require great focus. Stay hydrated to ensure your victory!
- You’ll be stronger and faster. Research suggests that even a 2 percent drop in hydration can cause significant losses in strength and motivation while increasing feelings of fatigue. You might not be the Six Million Dollar Man, but being properly hydrated will keep feelings of fatigue at bay.
- You’ll slim down by eliminating mindless snacking. Proper hydration can serve as an appetite suppressant and help with weight loss or weight management. It is swimsuit season – look your best at the neighborhood pool or while laying out at the beach!
- Your skin is more radiant. Proper hydration can clear up your skin or make it look younger. Summer time means pictures, with proper hydration you can be assured all those selfies will get lots of Insta-likes.
- You’ll run cooler. Take our advice – sitting out on all the summer fun because you are injured is no fun at all – stay hydrated can help you avoid those injuries.
- You’ll be in a better mood. When the body is functioning at its best, you will feel great and be happy!
- Your immune system will benefit. Drinking plenty of water helps fight against flu, cancer and other ailments like heart attacks. Fight the summer sniffles by staying hydrated.
Enjoy your summer by staying hydrated using our favorite tips for drinking more water:
- Carry reusable bottle of water. If a reusable bottle is within arm’s reach, you are more likely to sip on it throughout the day without making it a conscious effort.
- Add some flavor. Does your water taste boring? Spice it up by adding a slice of lemon or cucumber!
- Eat a diet rich in whole foods. You can up your fluid intake by eating water-rich foods like vegetables or fruits!
- Sip it through a straw! Studies have found that people will drink more and in bigger gulps if they are drinking through a straw.
- Set reminders. It is easy to get caught up in many different things during a busy summer. Try setting alerts on your phone to remind yourself to stay hydrated throughout the day!