Impurities found in water supplies may include:
- Large particles, such as dirt, cysts, and asbestos fibers
- Hard water impurities, such as calcium, magnesium, manganese, and iron. These are what cause scale in your coffee pot.
- Heavy metals, such as lead
- Micro-organisms such as bacteria, fungi, algae, and protozoa
- Dissolved solids, such as salts and nitrates
- Organic molecules that give off-tastes and odors
- Fine particles
Water impurities can be removed using water filtration systems such as bottleless water filtration systems.